We ate breakfast at the hotel's beautiful buffet to start out the day.
| You will be disappointed to know I ate fruit and potatoes when all sorts of delicacies were available...like duckhead. |
Discovering ChunMing would be late, we explored the hotel and it's immediate surroundings to kill some time.
| This is the view of Hohhot looking out of our hotel window |
| The hotel lobby, where we first met ChunMing |
Then we found some benches overlooking the front doors of the hotel lobby, so we wouldn't miss his grand entrance. We waited, and waited and waited... finally we went to our room so our guide could contact us if there was another change in plans. About 15 minutes later we received the phone call that he was here.
We met with a group of 3 individuals with the orphanage in the lobby: the secretary, the driver, and even the doctor was there. They informed us that ChunMing had gotten car sick in the car and was in the restroom with his caretaker. They let us know that he had only been in a car a handful of times in his life and isn't used to it. We were also told that he was so excited for his Babba and Mamma, that he hardly slept the night before.
A few moments later, ChunMing arrived, clearly shaken and much like a dear in headlights. His caretaker said something about his "momma and babba" and gently pushed him to us. Although his body language and face said he wanted to run, he was obedient to her command and stepped towards me to give me a hug. I felt his pain and wanted to save him from it, but couldn't. My tears started to come, so I quickly asked our guide to please let him know that his momma cries because she is so happy. Soon, his lip quivered and the floodgates opened. As much as I prepared myself for this moment, it still ripped my heart out.
|
My mother instincts kicked in and I looked for a distraction. The orphanage staff had brought quite a few items with them, including a box of school crafts ChunMing had made, so I called ChunMing's name and started to go through the items. He began to tell me about each piece while I made "ohh" and "ahh" sounds. It worked. His tears dried up.
While spending a few minutes with dad, the caretaker spoke with me. Even though I couldn't make out much of anything, I knew she was communicating her love for ChunMing and her pain at him leaving. With tears in her eyes, she told me that she has taken care of him for 5 years. She showed me some photos she placed in his photo book we had sent him, of her and the group she worked with, which included several boys that I was familiar with from our agency's web sight. She especially pointed out his best friend. Finally, she was able to let me know that she wanted ChunMing to keep up communication. My heart was full of gratitude that our son had been in a place of nurturing.
We had also received some school paperwork and gifts we had sent him, along with gifts and snacks the orphanage staff gave him. I asked our guide later that day if this orphanage was unusual in China. She said she only works with the ones in Inner Mongolia, but it was the best. She said the staff loves their children. She also explained that the 8 boys, ChunMing's orphanage group consisted of, all had "brain problems" as she put it. They weren't able to get out of the orphanage very much.
Some paperwork was signed, photos taken, and goodbyes said. Most the staff had left, except for one who remained. I was able to then ask some questions about his health, his history, and his schedule. We learned that his favorite food is any meat (that ought to be interesting in a family full of veggie eaters; our oldest boys excluded :). All the time, he was warming up to us. His tears were replaced by bright smiles and he was connecting. He was especially connecting to Babba and his iPhone. (Jordan, he saw the photo of you and your little brother on your motorcycle and wants a ride :) When the final staff member left, he took our hand and walked off to his new life.
What a wonderful, fabulous, emotional experience! I am so happy for your family. ChungMing is going to be such a blessing in your family, and in our ward family. It's amazing, but I can almost see a resemblance with him and Dave in that last picture. He just looks like he BELONGS with you.
ReplyDeleteTears here too! What a blessing to know he was so loved and well cared for! I love the last picture. He looks like a Cook already!
ReplyDeleteI hope your "part 2" will include how the rest of your night went! Once the translators are gone, it's a bit tricky! You'll become amazing at charades!
Praying that the rest of your trip will go smoothly!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI want to hear everything!! We live to hear more. I really don't have time to keep checking the computer and phone but I still do. :) I think Mom and Dad think I'm a little obsessed. They love the pictures. Any chance one of the boys in the picture is a particular one I love?
ReplyDeleteSorry, I was unknowingly signed into Britt's account. That is the nobody post that was deleted.
Awww, what a beautiful, precious child! Congratulations on your new SON!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so cool he had a box of stuff he has made. It sounds like they really cared for him.
ReplyDeleteI remember the guilt and excitement when we took Joseph from his foster parents, she knew he was for another family but it was still hard to take him from her even with our knowledge that he was to come to our family.
He is wonderful and I wish we could meet him soon.