We are only hours away from getting our son. We left the Seattle airport Saturday afternoon and spent almost 12 hours in the air to get to Beijing. It was a little tricky navigating our way around the airport once we arrived, but managed to get where we needed to be. Then we waited another 5 hours to hit our connecting flight to Hohhot, the capital of Inner Mongolia. It is almost 1:30am and we are settled in the beautiful Sheraton Hotel and David is sound asleep. Hence the goofy photo. A sleeping man can't defend himself.
Unfortunately, since we spent the past 20 hours either on a plane or in an airport, we didn't take any photos but this one to test my son's camera we borrowed. I was determined to get something on for our children at home, who will be checking the blog daily for photos. Sorry kids; that's all I got.
Our oldest son and oldest daughter would love to be here. It's been fun to interact in a culture so different from our own. Each culture has their own set of social rules of etiquette; mostly unwritten, but we have recognized several differences in just a day. Of all the smiles I gave away, I think I received 3 in return; and I smile a lot. It wasn't until the end of the day that I realized how strange these two Americans are with a child's backpack on their back. hmmm suspicious indeed.
Our guide and driver picked us up from the airport and we drove the 30 minutes to the hotel. (I won't even mention the road etiquette :) We asked the few questions our fuzzy brains could manage and tried to get a view of the city in the dark. The guide has not yet met ChunMing, but said he is the first child with CP to be adopted out of Inner Mongolia. We were surprised to hear this, but she mentioned this fact a couple more times and even said, "He is lucky to have a chance and be adopted." Personally, I have no doubt WE are the lucky ones.
With some concerns over our children we left behind (in good hands I might add!) and a new butterfly sensation in my stomach, I must go to bed. We meet ChunMing in the hotel lobby at 11am
Note: notice the photo is deleted. The man is no longer sleeping...
Lyle and I are currently insane Juan island for a little anniversary getaway, but I've been eagerly checking our phone for updates! So glad you got there safe and sound. Praying for a wonderful day tomorrow for you and Chunming!
ReplyDeleteDidn't mean insane (although we might be!) but San Juan Island. Love spell check.
ReplyDeleteHave a great time! Thank you for all the support and helpful hints. The guide confirmed that we get to go to his orphanage on Thursday. Yay!
DeleteIs your guide absolutely sure Chun Ming is the first CP child out of IM? Maybe that is why there are so many CP kids in that orphanage. I would really like to know about this. It makes me want to come even more.
ReplyDeleteWe miss you!!
She kept referring to it as a "brain problem". I thought I was misunderstanding her, but since she repeated it several times and in different ways, I am positive that is what she was saying. Now, whether she has all the information, who knows? However, she does represent all orphanages here and it seems to be a very small world both in China and in the business.
DeleteWe just found out they are running a few hours behind, but will let you know when we have him.
HI Doreen! Eileen sent me the link to your blog. I will definitely be checking in on you and your new son often!! I pray that all is going well. Congratulations!!!!
ReplyDeleteCome on sleeping man, we all want the picture back. The kids won't remember who you are if it's not there. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sad I missed the picture. I am thinking of you guys and hope things go smoothly.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys,
Tammy